he Village of Walton is named after William Walton Jr., a King's patentee and a founder of the Chamber of Commerce of the State of New York. On the 15th of March 1770, King George of England granted a patent of 20 thousand acres to William Walton and his partners, most of which form present day Walton.
The Battle of Lexington on the 19th of April 1775 ("the shot heard around the world"), started the American Revolutionary War. Many of William Walton's relatives were pro-British, but he sided with those who struggled for independence. The State of New York, which was organized in Kingston on the 20th of April 1777, recognized William Walton's land patent because he was a patriot. With the signing of the Treaty of Paris on the 3rd of September 1783, which ended hostilities, this land patent could now be safely settled and would later become part of Delaware County.
It was two years later on the 16th of May 1785, that Dr. Platt Townsend, a friend of William Walton, arrived with his party, on the West Branch of the Delaware River, in the area which was to become the village of Walton.Larry Miller